Saturday, December 8, 2007

Alex challenge.... aye aye aye,,,,

My #1 pick this week is Brenda... I am so proud to give her “MY#1” position. When the thumbnails came up on my computer screen and all the designs were revealed on one page I was immediately struck by the silhouette and colors of her design without ever looking at who, what, when or where. This is a treasure in the design mix. What I have admired about Brenda from day one of this competition is that, she is 'True to Herself' and her design style. She found the perfect movie and character to suite her style and created a dramatic and beautiful solution. Bravo Brenda...yea!!!

Another in my top 3 was Debbie... again.. She accepted the challenge and solved the puzzle. The sheer poke-a-dots were delightful and I loved the short gloves and pearls. I love the way Debbie has her design styled on her blog. And I agree “Why oh why would Ted not choose to use an articulated doll over the straight arms?” The white collar and full skirt on this dress speak “ICON” to me and very 50” But I saw no need for the ribbon shawl. http://debbie-frenchdressing.blogspot.com/


Always in my top 3 is Judith. This week I am a little worried that the dress has come off as a period piece and not as contemporary as the movie. BUT.... WOW.....the FIT...! the COLOR...! The DETAIL.. The jewelry is perfection. How can you not love it. Again on her blog the garments styling is a much better representative of her design concept than the runway show. Great job Judith!
Thank you designers who have blogs I adore reading your blogs on how you solved the design challenges and how your garment were intended to be styled. http://judithmarkich.blogspot.com/

I very much miss Kimberly . I would have loved to see what she would have done. Kimberly, the quality and style of your work was missed this week.


Once again let me say I mean no harsh feelings and I am offering my opinion only as a means of a constructive critique.I welcome critique myself. If all the feed back these designers get is just “PRETTY DOLL” then how can they grow. After all the theory of “Project Dollway” is to find the best! I respect the pressure these designers were under to complete this REALLY tough challenge! The research alone is staggering in a historical respect. Very hard challenge indeed I am having a hard time putting into words what I am thinking. For I have to admit that I was disappointed with the over all work on this challenge.
The sky was the limit as far as choices, Yet the creativity was lacking. I felt like some of the designers were still stuck on the “Over scale” challenge earlier Laces, trim and accent elements clearly out of scale... For the most part the fit was very poor. I think obviously these designers are much more adept in ready to wear than costuming. For it is clear they were out of their element.

Although a stunning costume and silhouette M &G’s “Hello Dolly” was still a miss for me. The swag overlay in front was bulky and fat - the folds did not hang well. A brilliant Designer friend, Judy once gave me a tip on doing this. She cuts a swag on a bias and hangs it wet... to “FIND” its folds... this is what I am missing here.. The swag on the front is bubbling out and distorting the look of the garment. The Dress is well made and a beautiful color but not period correct.


Andrea... oh my. wonderful idea and almost period correct. The details on the bodice are wonderful and very graphic and your accessories are fantastic, Thanks for showing us your under wear on your blog...hehe I liked the hat better on you blog too On the runway show I did not like it.
But the big mistake was the lace it is way over scale and due to the major color contrast causes it appear even bigger. I could not take my eyes off of it, and not in a good way.
http://andreajaques.blogspot.com/

Leigh’s “Blade Runner”.....OK you get Kudos for being original in your movie selection. But the design is blah.. and leaves me thinking .. is that all... take me somewhere... give me the future... give me color... (black is not so great in a competition like this. it is not eye catching or exciting and you loose the all detail of the design. I am not saying that black is wrong for this movie. But you could have chosen a movie that Rocked.. of ICON dress!


That just leaves Brandon’s “Titanic”.. Nice ideas and the color scheme and fabrics were clever. But in the end the fit was poor.. this is my #1 criteria for good design.. FIT...is crucial. This dress did not fit and the button details were sloppy. The neck line seemed too plain for all of the detail elsewhere. It needed some steaming which was not your fault. As far as period correct... hmmm not completely.





No comments:

"Bianca"

"Bianca"
First place Contest doll for IFDC 2007