Saturday, December 1, 2007

#5 The Susie Challenge

The challenge concept:
Take Susie any where in the world and dress her in a contemporary outfit inspired by the local fashion, fabric and traditional dress. She must look contemporary but the local color must be obvious and reasonability authentic.

http://www.projectdollway.com/Susie%20Challenge%20Runway.html

Gee wiz.. this was a fun challenge to see. I am amazed at how wonderful each and every outfit was. The designers really did well on this one. It is going to be hard for he judges to pick a winner. Oh to pick my winner.. Again I am torn as to the clear winner for me..
But top 3 in no order or preference.......ARE


At first glance of the runway show I was in ahwww of Debbie’s London design. It is so tailored and so crisp. Love – love - love the plaid, (great colors) it is tough to get a plaid to work on any small doll but Debbie did it with ease here. The pleating details were awesome and the Eisenhower style jacket was wonderful and a good solution to this small doll. All of the jacket details were scaled perfectly. And ...OH that purse....yummmy..... So cute.. Love it! Loose the hat did not need it. Congratulations ... wonderful results.
http://debbie-frenchdressing.blogspot.com/


Oh Judith’s Greece .. so fresh and fun... you never disappoint us! I can see exactly where your design elements came from. Your research paid off and how you transposed it into street wear for a young girl is perfect. Your design was very detailed and those shoes... did you make them? Adorable. The styling on this doll is so much fun I can see this young traveler out on the streets of Greece with that cute tote taking in the sites. Great job....
http://judithmarkich.blogspot.com/

Another favorite of mine in this challenge was Kimberly’s India. Very simple idea with a lot of very difficult fabrication all done perfectly, one being the pants legs. The detailing is so lovely at the ankle, very striking. I loved the fabric choice here too, a very molded pink. This design was edited perfectly – in this case less is MORE. And with a perfect fit. Thank goodness you kept it simple that is the success of the design. I wish I could see that little hand bag.. Bet it is cute too. I read you were disappointed with the styling of the sari but in my opinion it did not negate the quality of the design. . Well done.. Good luck.
http://boxpleat.blogspot.com/

Karen has really stepped up her game these last 2 rounds I was disappointed that she got the lowest score last round. That was a wonderful design however the judges deemed that it did not follow the out line of the challenge. Sorry Karen. But with that said this round was great and did follow the out line of the challenge. Scotland... ..ah yes, here we go - plaid... yea-good scale for the element you used it on. Plaid is hard; I know caz I am on my own search for a plaid to use on a contest doll I am planning. I would have liked to have seen a crisper pleat on the skirt but the styling did created a youthful and fun feeling. The hat did not do much for the overall design and I felt it was unnecessary. I wish I could see that sporen/purse in detail it was just so clever and appropriate. Good luck and I hope we do not see you go this week. You have done a wonderful job.
http://wwwkolkmankreations.blogspot.com/

Brenda’s Japan..... I am always a sucker for anything Asian. I did like this dress The colors, although not really what I think of as Japan, were bright and happy and claimed an intensity to the design My best description of this outfit would probably be “Quirky” The Asian elements lend themselves well to defining this garment’s country. As far as street wear I do not think the sleeves would work but I personally like them they are fun and I adore how the juxtaposition of colors in the lining and face are done. The stylized Obie is adorable. Why a pink purse?
http://900dreamstreet.blogspot.com/


Andrea’s London ...another winning design. I have to say I appreciated her design much more after reading her blog and seeing her entertaining video.
From the runway show I did not know how many layers she had created. I also did not know that the Jacket was short and she had an attached waist band in red on the skirt. With the jacket open and relaxed this design was a lot more youthful and street worthy. I hope the judges got to see her original vision as she planed it, because I felt the runway made the jacket appear too bulky and stodgy. It gave Susie the appearance of a bell hop. Again, as with all the designs a hat is just wrong for this doll. I know from Andrea’s blog what she was thinking but it read as a pillbox hat on the runway. I love her blog I adore seeing her research process and I have thanked her for slicing open her brain so we can see in.Good job Andrea!
http://www.andreajaques.blogspot.com/

Leigh’s Native American... Dot and I both ooooooed and ahhhhed at this one when it came up. I bet you knitted that sweater... clever you. The colors were so bright and clear. The simple detail on the shirt was very representative of the concept. This was a very youthful and street worthy design, which grasped the challenge extremely well. Boots were cute too.. I now know how heard it is to find shoes for this girl. Nice design and a good casual feeling. Not my favorite but very well done.
http://leighslaughter.blogspot.com/


Brandon’s Paris.... I am surprised more designers did not do this city. Great job... it is such a sweet design but I don’t think the colors say “Paris” to me. I miss the color PINK... to me Paris is Pink (I know that is just me a little coo-koo but ..)
The little jacket is lovely and I like it styled open. The legging and flats are oh-so Parisian.. and the little skirt is cute and short. All very street worthy and wearable I can see any young girl in Paris wearing this... just need an accent color that says Paris... ...
http://www.wickedstitcherypd.blogspot.com/


That just leaves Mario and Gianni’s Spain. This is the only disappointing design in the runway show today. It is the only one that I had to question ...”Now where am I, what county am I in?” I love these guys and they are always spot on. But this was a miss for me... OK..I know you guys are throwing your mouse controllers at me now, but I feel like if I am going to do an honest unbiased review I have to say it. I just did not get it. Maybe it is a Euro thing but it was over designed and bulky. And way too much detail too much trim for this doll. The little lace in the hair.. hmmmm? You guys usually blow me away you are great doll designers but this one .. a miss.
http://magia2000.blogspot.com/

With that said Mario and Gianni are still in my “OVER ALL” top 4 picks to win this competition along with Judith, Debbie and Kimberly.

This “Project Dollway” has been such fun to see and participating in the “At Home” challenges has enhanced it even more for me. Once again thank you TED for the dolly fun.

1 comment:

Judith said...

Thanks Durelle for your comments and yes, I did make the shoes and don't want to have to do that again. :-) This competition has taken me places I thought I would never go!Can't wait to see where you are going with your design :-)
Judith:-)

"Bianca"

"Bianca"
First place Contest doll for IFDC 2007