Wednesday, November 14, 2007

WOW......I won!!!

This challenge was about the total look based on the classic Little Black Dress. It was called LBD + One (color). The challenge was to create a cocktail party dress with a contemporary and strong silhouette. Accessories were very important to this challenge and could be used as part of the accent color.

I was privileged to have been selected as the winner for this “At Home” challenge.

Alexandra said in her critique: “DESIGN SEVEN: Simply sensational. The balance of the accent color throughout is wonderful because of its muted tone. A brighter color might have dominated everything, Wonderful silhouette, and a stunning new interpretation of the basic shirt dress.

Durelle Brown is the winner of the Barbie At Home Challenge. This outfit has all the elements required in this challenge, plus a fresh approach to the LBD. Reinventing a classic design is never easy, but this design does it with subtle color and a modern twist.

Thank you Project Dollway

TED ~ Alexandra ~ Happy Ever After for the Gift Certificate

This fashion and Accessories are for sale!


As for my own approach to solving this challenge I wanted to make sure I kept a flavor of the classic but yet keep in mind the contemporary twist requirement. I knew I wanted a sexy neck line and the silhouette was also an important requirement. Barbie’s small waist is very distinctive and makes her a good muse to model anything.
Knowing me and how I get stuck on color I knew straight up that I would NOT use citrine again. So to resolve that issue with myself I began my mock-up design in that color. I will show that dress later. I decided that Fushia would look perfect with the design ideas I had. But I also knew I must tone it down or mute it some way.

I began sketching at work and narrowed down my idea to one look. Mainly because my co-workers kept telling me over and over that they loved this design and would wear it to a cocktail party. The look I started with was a classic trench coat / shirt dress design. The twist comes from the collar and sweetheart neck line. Also I adore the drag-el-ly (my word) dripping lace look. Scale is always the enemy in lace and trim for Barbie. I contemplated the idea of layering black and fushia tulle (right scale) but I knew that shirring tulle would result in a Tu-tu effect. So I had to come up with a compromise some way to get the look but at the right scale.

I Love thinking and problem solving how to scale things for Barbie. I am an OOAK artist and I have on many, many occasions styled doll hair by heat setting it in hot water. I am thinking to myself.. hmmmmm doll hair is just synthetic fiber and tulle is nylon a synthetic fiber surely I could heat tulle to achieve the pleated look I want .



Everyone has been asking me how I got this pleated effect sooooooo..... Here ya go..

I layered 4 layers the tulle with the black on top and loosely pinned it together. At the sewing machine I ran rows and rows of basting stitch ½” apart. I gathered up all of the lines of stitching (no easy task) as tightly as I could and tied them off. The next step in the process was to heat set the tiny pleats I had created. This was accomplished with my steam iron set on wool and using a pressing cloth. YEA....it worked!!!!


By removing my lines of stitching and releasing the tulle I had heat set pleats and all I had to do was measure the length I wanted and cut it free. Wall-a underskirt peeking out from under the over dress ½” giving it the contemporary look I was wanting.










11 comments:

Unknown said...

Durelle,
Congratulations! Absolutely fantastic outfit. I love the way you did the tiny pleats. Very clever.Your outfit was my choice for winner before I knew it was yours.
Judith X

jungle dream pagoda said...

Omigosh!!!! this is just gorg!!!! Love it!!!! YAY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
I got home early tonight!
My babies call back is Saturday with her mommy!
I checked out your pal Brenda's work ! Her Ellowyn design was my fave! possibly because I want a full size version for me! ....but I loved that coat!

Unknown said...

Sheeesh!! You and your sister...just the most fashion forward fashionistas ever!!!

Anonymous said...

this is so gorgeous! I WISH I had clothes like this for my barbie growing up. brilliant. Who knew mrs. pagoda had another talented sibling....can I join your family?

faithy said...

Thank you, thank you! I have been trying to make an authentic pancake tutu for a cloth doll, and pleating, phew! No way, until I saw your technique!!

Faithy

faithy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
faithy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
faithy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
faithy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
faithy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
faithy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

"Bianca"

"Bianca"
First place Contest doll for IFDC 2007