Sunday, November 11, 2007

"Little Black Dress" Challenge

This challenge was about the total look based on the classic "Little Black Dress". It was called Black plus ONE (color that is). The challenge was to create a cocktail party dress with a contemporary and strong silhouette. Accessories were very important to this challenge.


My top runners were Judith, Kimberly and Debbie. All three of these ladies embraced the LBD challenge through classic styling with at twist.
I am torn between these three for my #1...
Kimberly, to me, fit the challenge to a “T” reinventing the classic pencil skirt by staying true to her own design style with the addition of that wonderful Red pleated gusset. The matching purse was adorable. I disagree with the judge’s comment on the necklace... pearls were the first thing that came to my mind in this challenge. I applauded the simplicity of the design. Love the back and the fit is superb. By adding one simple element and color you recreated the LBD silhouette with a renewed interest. Bravo!

Judith, always a winner in my book, thus far has brought to each challenge a winning design. This weeks LBD was wonderful...... what can I say...?..... lime green as an accent color... yea!! So fresh and fun. Your accessories were precious... especially the shoes, so delicate. Were they painted or ribbon? Fit was impeccable... (I am a stickler for fit) But of course what took you to the winning level was that wonder full jacket. The slight hint of green in the lining was subtle and classy. I loved the neck line and the simple use of beads. Great design just what I would have expected.


As I am writing this I am realizing that my over all choice for #1 will have to be Debbie. I loved this design. My winner! Again lime green... yea!!! But where you surpassed the others for me was the silhouette. You did create a new silhouette. The hem line was brilliant and “contemporary” which was part of this challenge. The button detail in the back....yummy.... But I have to say... what really made me ohhhhhhhh and ahhhhh was that HAT!!! WOW... talk about YUMMY.... I think that you considered the model (silkstone) and took the challenge to just the right level. Congratulations!!!




Another design I really liked was Andréa’s. Although I felt like you could loose the sleeves completely the basic dress design was unique and looked great on the model. I think the problem with this design was it was over accessorized. I feel if you had stepped back and really editing yourself you could have won this challenge with this dress. The belt was perfect and the hat was great. But you did have too much over scaled jewelry.
I haven’t read all of the designer’s blogs yet but I did read Magia2000 this morning.. I adore the detailing on this dress... tooo bad the judges could not have seen this... Wow! This dress was wonderful and even though I can see the shawl being used in Europe I think this was what lost this challenge for you. (I want to reach into my screen and straighten that bow)
Brenda, as always, you blew the accessories out of the ball park. Wonderful purse...yummmmm! The color combo was dramatic. The shoes were so creative...thank you for posting a good close up of them I was wanting more detail when I saw the runway show. Neat neat neat.......
Karen and Jose were in my bottom three.
Karen I have never cared for bulky, glittery stretchy fabric, even on humans and on dolls... ugh...never a good choice! It is difficult for the fabric to relax enough to hang to the scale of the doll. With the correct fabric the silhouette could have been interesting. Your accent color was good, subtle and classy and the neck line on the back of the dress was great. Loved it! I liked the way you used the necklace to accent the back and I wish I could see the shoes better ... but loose the hat.
What can I say...José? You are one of the BEST designers in the competition, but big disappointment this time. It was an Interesting experimentation with the silhouette concept but ...OH dear... toooo much on a small doll. I have confidence that you can come back and win the next challenge and stay in the game. We want to see more of you!!!

1 comment:

jungle dream pagoda said...

This has definitely been my favorite challenge to date! I had your gals in my top 3 ,but I LOVED Jose's dress and agree that THAT particular silhouette could NEVER be worn with that hat!
Kimberly was my favorite this time.
Debbies was indeed spectacular ,but if memory serves me it mimics Holly Golightly's "going to sing-sing dress" almost exactly. Wsan't that the original LBD ? It was STILL awesome!

"Bianca"

"Bianca"
First place Contest doll for IFDC 2007