Friday, January 18, 2008

Challenge # 9

The Erte' Challenge
This has been one of my favorite challenges, since I am primarily known for my costume and fantasy design, this challenge was more to my talent and my love. Erte’ has long been one of my very favorite illustrators and artist. I did have a few books on Erte’ in my personal library which made my research a lot easier.
After studying his design style I discovered many design elements I was in love with. More than I could possibly include in one design, so I weeding out the best which was quit a task for myself. I knew from the first I would NOT be designing a wearable contemporary garment that was removable. So I took a lot of liberties that the other home designer’s would not be taking. In my mind it was not to win but to create a design that I would really like.
One of Erte’s strong design elements is Asian. The kimono sleeve is evident in a lot of his drawings and I knew this would be something I wanted for my design too.

Another interesting thing he does a lot is continuing or merging one garment element to evolve into another such as my skirt hem becoming my kimono sleeve. There is so much going in Erte’s drawings you have to really dissect each one and study it closely.
The next element I found most intriguing is how he folds one fabric into another and slips a panel into the next intertwining, flipping, folding and lacing fabrics and panels together. I did some of this too. By folding back bodice pieces to revel contrast fabric at the neck and an unusual angled point under the arm, as well as the contrast lining on the skirt showing as the back of the sleeve element.
When I completed my design was compelled to do some beading…. which I have all but abandon during the DollWay Projects (due to time restraints). Beading is so much fun and is to me therapeutic. I can sit quietly and watch TV and bead. So I did do quite a bit of beading on this garment which in my mind helped to support the overall finished design.
This was a fun challenge and reintroduced to me Erte’ which I have always thought would be a great muse for fantasy doll designs.

So another challenge down and only one more to go. This was one that I really enjoyed

I did not win this challenge Jason did and his design was a awsome!! See....

You can see all of the At home designers entries at...Alexandrars Blog

http://alexandrasragtime.blogspot.com/

(Dot's and my doll together)

As always thanks Ted for the opportunity to strut my stuff…

1 comment:

jungle dream pagoda said...

YAY !!!!! You won the Gabby challenge!!!!! YAY !!!!!!
Love the Erte,one of my fave artistes!!!!

"Bianca"

"Bianca"
First place Contest doll for IFDC 2007